MORE ABOUT ME

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

WW81: SOLAR ROADS, 'ECCE HOMO', AND RICHARD AHNERT

It's Wednesday - so let's get going!!! 
Here are 5 things I am loving this week....and you should love them too!!!

1.) SOLAR POWERED ROADS! I Love this one! It is a great idea.....and probably needs a LOT of perfection before implementation.....but still......

An American electrical engineer by the name of scott brusaw has developed a system of solar powered roads as an initiative to change the face of national highways. These 'solar roadways'  re-purpose existing concrete and asphalt surfaces that are exposed to the sun with solar road panels. He is currently introducing the technology in driveways, bike paths, patios, sidewalks, parking lots, playgrounds, before integrating them onto public roads. 





The hope is that in time it will provide sustainable transportation solutions. The roads are capable of directly inputting energy into the power-grid through photovoltaics, which if realized, could power an entire country from the generated electricity!! CRAZY HUH?? These 'solar roadways' would replace coal- and nuclear-powered electricity generation plants by transforming the road into a self-contained energy source!!!!! I hope this comes to fruition!!! It could completely transform North America!

(Thanks to DesignBoom for this one - check them out HERE)

2.) So, I am in the market for a new bathroom........and here is what I am thinking:


(thanks to Cindy - via onebynine.com)

3.) So...art that centres around anthropomorphizing (the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god/animal/object.) seems to be more popular than I thought........You know....like a woman with a goats head.....and such..........


Personally, I really like local (Toronto) artist Richard Ahnert. We have done a number of the same shows together...and I am always impressed by his work. His paintings are creepy and beautiful.....not to mention stunningly executed!!! I stole these images from his site:


GO TO HIS SITE FOR MORE!!! He has a whole site of brilliantly done paintings!

Speaking of anthropomorphizing...I really like these ones......from Emily Burns. They are super good too!!! I wanted her to call this series "Horny".....but she didn't. ;-) Still.....super well done:





4.) 'Newsies: The Musical' original Broadway cast recording. I KNOW this one is super gay....but sometimes a nice pick-me-up is a bit of tap dancing (not me - the kids on the soundtrack). I saw the show in NYC this year, and thought it was FUN!! I enjoyed the music and the dancing (and admittedly...all the tight slacks on the prancing chorus boys....)
Yes...the music is sugary-sweet,  Disneyfied shlock.....BUT I cannot help but enjoy it. The show is based on the musical movie BOMB from the 90's. With music by Alan Menken (you may know him from other musicals like Little Shop of Horrors, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast). If you like a show tune, like I like a show tune...try it out!!
Here is a little taste:
COME ON! F-U-N!! Can't you just picture the tight pants GREAT dancing??

5.) Ok...by now EVERYONE has seen this news item. But for those of you who have been living under a rock.....here is the cliff-notes. Picture it. A 19th century Spanish fresco depicting Jesus titled “Ecce Homo” by painter Elias Garcia Martinez. Now picture an 80 year old woman, with NO ART TRAINING attempting to re-touch a this crumbling century old fresco. Here are the results:

HILARIOUS - sad - but still....humorous! This botched restoration spawned a photoshop meme, in which the ruined painting was edited on to other famous works of art, and pop culture......like this:








And finally I leave you with this one:


No comments:

Post a Comment